Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas service in a church in Iquitos and more.

Sofia left Pilpintuwasi last sunday and Joscha had his last day tuesday. I am now the only volunteer left, which is sad, but also nice. I have a lot to do, so time flies. Gudrun (the owner) have been in town most days last week and therefore I had to do all the english guidetours.
This means that I get to talk to a lot of other travellers which is great - I love it! Many tourists come with a guide. I usually also talk to the guides which is very nice for practicing my spanish. Some of them speaks english which is also nice, since Gudrun is the only other person speaking english and she haven´t been around much last week.

All volunteers who stay with Humberto and his family get´s a little present from the family. The daughter, Lesi, made a bracelet and a necklace for me which was really nice :)

Wednesday evening I went to town to meet Joscha and Kathrin. We had agreed to meet up and say goodbye to Joscha who would leave thursday. First we went to Kathrins appartment to leave my bag and have a beer and then we went for dinner.
The restaurant was more or less cheap and I didn´t expect it to be anything memorable - just a cheap and simple dinner. We shared a can of camucamu juice and I ordered some cooked vegetables (carrots, green beans and broccoli) and a steak with potatoes. It was amazing! The juice was great, the vegetables was more than great and the steak was huge and extremely delicious! Maybe it had something to do with me eating spaghetti for dinner 4 days in a row, but it was also a good restaurant. We then went for another beer and afterwards to a bar that was known for it´s afrodisiac drinks with different kinds of plants in them. It was interesting. The night was with great food and great company. We slept at Kathrin appartment since her roomates wasn´t in town. We had a room with a doublebed each. I slept like a baby!

Coming back to Padre Cocha after spending a night in Iquitos, makes me appreciate how quiet it is in Padre Cocha. It is amazing to be in the hammock and enjoy the silence. Even when the tv and music goes on, the rest is more or less quiet.


I asked Gudrun to be off work the 23rd and 25th of December and then I went to town after work on the 22nd. I met up with Kathrin and we went to a church where her colleague´s band would play.

We arrived to the church, everybody was standing up in front of their plastic chair and the band was playing religious music but in rock edition - it sounded great. After the concert, everybody sat down. Then the pastor came and asked everybody to stand up and hug the person in front of them, next to them etc. and wish them a merry christmas. I had Kathrin to my right, a young boy (around 15 years old) to my left and in front of me was a young woman in her mid-twenties and a man in his forties. We all did as the pastor had asked us to. It felt great and made me smile a lot. Then the pastor asked us to do it again. This time he asked us not to hug the person as a stranger, but as a friend who deserved our love - even a better feeling. After some preaching from a few different people, which I didn´t understand a lot of unfortunately - more music came on. The lyrics was projected on the wall for everyone to sing along. We sang "Silent Night" in spanish - "Noche de paz" followed by a rock edition of both a spanish and english song with these lyrics:
Feliz navidad x2 
Feliz navidad, próspero año y felicidad.
I wanna wish you a merry christmas x2
I wanna wish you a merry christmas from the bottom of my heart.

We sang this over and over again and the atmosphere was great - filled with joy. Then everybody got a small number on a piece of paper and a danceshow went on. Around 10 young and smiling girls went to the front an perfomed for 5 minutes - smiling and laughing all the way through. Not an impressive show, but I liked their energy.
Next two people appeared in the front and started drawing numbers out of a plastic bag - apparently we were in a lottery. People won different things such as a big paneton or a basket filled with sweets. Then everyone in the church got a semi-hot chocolate and a small sandwich while we were watching a theatre performance by some guys around my age. A religious play about something with a bad guy beating up people and Jesus coming to save them. The rest of the service was just the lottery with another danceshow and another theatre play in between. At last the pastor came to talk and wish everybody a merry christmas. When it was over, the pastor came to Kathrin and I - even though there were many people and we were in the back, he had noticed us. He came to thank us for being there and we talked for a bit.

This experience was amazing. I have only been to a danish church once as far as I remember. I didn´t find it very interesting. This evening was all about love and sharing. I know one of the preachers (or what you prefer to call them) talked about jealousy - Kathrin told me. then there was all the hugging, sharing food and drinks, the lottery, the music, the danceshows and theatre performances. It was a very interesting and lovely service. The atmosphere was great and filled with joy - I smiled my way through the evening. A night I won´t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment