Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 100 and valentines day

Day 100.
Manuel from the carnaval had adviced me to go to a certain streetfood place to eat breakfast. I was quite tired of pancakes, so I decided to go. Here you could buy very cheap papa relleno, arros relleno and tucumanos. It all tasted great! When you buy something, you get a plate and you can take as much salad as you want to - 4 different types of delicious salad. The seller also adviced me on what salsas to put on what.

The rest of the day was pretty calm until the evening. Pretty girl had invited me for a dinner with her friends. They are a group of friends and they take turns hosting a dinner. So I met up with her and two bolivian women and we went to the appartment. A part of La Paz that I hadn´t seen and a great appartment with a brazilian couple living in it. The man was working in something with computers and the woman was a photo journalist. They could work from anywhere in the world and for this reason they were nomads. They would go back to brazil for the woman (Elaine) to give birth and then they would move for a while to New York.

The evening was great! I felt like i already knew all of them. The brazilians made the best lasagne I have had in years and we had some redwine and talked for hours, switching between english and spanish. It was a unique and great evening - especially nice to get away from all the travelers and the hostel bar for a bit.

Valentines day.
So today was my last day in La Paz and I wanted to say goodbye to pretty girl. At the carnaval in Oruro I met pretty girl. Pretty girl lives in La Paz for around half a year to teach children with special needs and to enjoy life.
The plan was just to get some nice food and maybe go to the cinema. We didn´t really think much about valentines day since neither one of us thinks the concept is a good idea. I picked her up and we found a restaurant on the internet that sounded good. We got there, but it wasn´t open yet. We were hungry, but we sucked it up and got a few cocktails around to corner while we were waiting.
Suddenly it was 7pm and the restaurant was open. When we entered the restaurant we both started laughing. The lights were dimmed, there was flowers everywhere and on every table and last but not least romantic and relaxed music all night. Pretty girl was dressed up while I was wearing my pants back to front like Kriss Kross and I was in a long sleeved black shirt with holes in it. It was hilarious!
Most of the things on the menucard I had never heard of. I never really understood why people go out to eat in very fancy restaurants. You pay a lot of money and you almost don´t get any food. Fortunately pretty girl knew a bit more about it and decided that we should get a beef carpaccio for appetizer. We continued to look at the menucard and decided that today was not the day to think of money. So we got a bottle of wine and a caprese salad as well.

Before we got the appetizers, we got some very small fresh baked breads - the best bread I have eaten in South America! Then we got the appetizers. The beef carpaccio was amazing and the caprese salad was with goat cheese, arugala, tomato and an amazing pesto!

Caprese salad and beef carpaccio


After the appetizers I already understood why people go out to eat like this!
So now we needed the main course. Pretty girl knew most of the food and got a sausage gnocchi while I just saw that there was something with bacon and went for it. Pasta and bacon in Arrabbiata sauce. MAN! I never knew that pasta with bacon could taste that good! Also gnocchi (whatever it might be) is amazing!

The main course
We couldn´t finish the main course, but still we decided to get a dessert! A brownie to share with an iceberg of icecream (that was what it said, but it was just a scoop..). Tasted great and freshly made as well!
So we got the bill. I think the entire meal with the wine costed less than just a main course on a fancy danish restaurant.
It was a weird, hilarious and great experience. The food was amazing, the music was great and we had good conversations all night.

After the restaurant we went for another drink in a bar. This bar was crazy. The toilet looked like you were entering a huge freezer (the door was crazy) and the toilet itself looked like your ass would freeze of when sitting on it! The decoration in the bar was with a lot of trumpets hanging from the seiling and the drinks was great! I got a long island ice tea and every sip of it was like taking a shot. On the way out of the bar we took a short dance with the attention of almost every person in the bar - all smiling :)

I never celebrated valentines day and I don´t really get the concept. But if every valentines day is like this, I should start celebrating it.


No comments:

Post a Comment