Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Salt flat in Uyuni and the goodbye in La Paz + Diabetes in Bolivia

We went from Potosi to Uyuni and had a nice and relaxed day. The date was the 30th of January and on the 31st we would do a 1day tour to the salt flat. After the tour Daniela would have to go towards Argentina while Naomi, Mietta and I would return to La Paz. The evening of the 30th we had a nice dinner out and played our last rounds of cardgames - it was a good last evening together as the four of us.
On the 31st in the morning we went to the tour company and was picked up by a jeep. First we were driven to the train cemetery. A really nice spot that looks like the scene of a western movie. We chilled around here, sitting on one of the trains and enjoying the sun. Then we were driven to a small touristic market which was a bit boring. The market was in a small village where some of the houses were made of salt! Quite impressive. Then finally we went to the salt flat. Salar de Uyuni is the worlds largest salt flat and it is as impressive as everyone told me it would be!
It is rainy season in Bolivia and for this reason there was water on the salt. We drove in the jeep over the water, watching the amazing reflections of the mountains and clouds into the water. It was impossible to tell how far away the mountains were and where the line was between clouds and the ground. The sun was shining and everything looked amazing, it is impossible to describe. We had great fun trying to take some of the typical tourist pictures and after a few hours and a lunch, we were headed back to Uyuni. On the way back we stopped by a lake filled with flamengoes and heaps of sheeps running around.

We had a great dinner in Uyuni and Mietta had somehow managed to find the original kinder surprise! The actual chocolate egg with the small yellow egg inside with a toy. She bought one for each of us. I was quite excited since I had complained to her about how you could only buy the weird kinder surprise which is not an chocolate egg in South America :)
We said goodbye to Daniela and got on the bus to La Paz.

We arrived around midday and went to the post office and supermarket. Naomi and Mietta had a flight the following morning to Brazil and we agreed to have a nice evening at the hostel together. In the supermarket we bought nachos, salsa, cheddar cheese, ingredients for guacamole, marshmellows and chocolate. We walked around town a bit and then went back to play uno at hostel.
We had nachos and guacamole for dinner and hot chocolate with marshmellows for desert! Then we went to get our free beer in the hostel bar and talked for a few hours before going to bed.

The following morning we said goodbye and they left for the airport. Traveling with a group of people for two weeks have been amazing! We all got along really well, had a lot of fun and got to explore Bolivia. It was nice to get to know some people and not just have the typical traveler conversation over and over again. We cooked food together, played cards, drinking games and had nice coffee/tea breaks. It was an amazing two weeks and I will thank Rob, Mietta, Daniela and Naomi for that! :)


My bloodsugar started to go up when I arrived in Bolivia. I thought my Levemir wasn´t working, it might have been to old. But then I remembered the high altitude and tried to go from 11units of levemir to 14units instead. This helped! My bloodsugar was back to normal in between my meals and over night. Most of the touristic cities in Bolivia is at a quite high altitude, which you have to be aware of with diabetes.
The last day in the supermarket, I found Hershey´s chocolates with different flavours, all sugarfree!
Unfortunately it was quite expensive and I decided not to buy it. Later that day I found a bag of Hershey´s sugarfree chocolates with caramel in my bag. Turned out that Mietta had bought a pack for me :) They are great! In New York I found socks for diabetics (not handy for me, but good to know though ;) ) and in Bolivia I found chocolate for diabetics - not bad.
Now I will spend some time in La Paz to relax and try to figure out where to spend carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment