I started the 24th of by buying a paneton to share for breakfast with the staff and the two other people at the hostel. Everybody was really happy when waking up to paneton :) I went to call my brother and wish him a happy birthday and we talked for 10-15 minutes which was nice. Liz and I went for a walk until she needed to take her flight back to Lima and Toni came and picked me up. First we went to his house - a very interesting and nice house. He showed me the great view from his terrasse and we talked while he played guitar. After a few hours we went to his sisters house. At first the family seemed very quiet. The sister has three kids - two boys around 13 and 19 and one girl around 16. They all spoke well english since their dad was from the states, but they didn´t say much. After around half an hour, the conversation really got going, they all became talkative and we had great conversations for hours. The two brothers showed me a computergame that one of them were programming, quiet impressive.
For dinner we had pizza with coca cola and champagne. Then I had brought a cake as a gift to the family for inviting me. When they pulled out the cake from the fridge, they all began to sing a birthday song for me - I was so overwhelmed with joy! Toni said that they couldn´t just skip a birthday in the family, they needed to sing for me :)
The evening was not a christmas with christmas songs or a tree, but it was with a family filled with love which was even better.
Around midnight, Toni and I walked to my hostel. We talked about "the alchymist" and about dreams. People having dreams but who don´t do anything to pursue their dreams. We also talked about beginners luck as described in the alcymist. During this conversation, I tried to figure out what I wanted in life, what was my dream. At first I couldn´t find an answer and I thought it was bad. I didn´t have a dream and therefore nothing to pursue or fight for. Then I realized I was fooling myself. I don´t know what I want to do for the rest of my live yet and what I want to be or where in the world, but I know what I want right now. My dream for many years was to go to South America, finally I was able to pursue it! This is the first step towards my future - one day at a time. I enjoy where I am instead of worrying to much about the future, and even though I try not to think to much about it, I know that I am getting closer to the answer every day :)
New years resolutions is somehow a sad thing. Why wait until new year to pursue our dreams or try to improve ourselves. If you know what you want, go get it now!
I had my last day in Pilpintuwasi last friday and went to town in the evening. On the boat it was quiet and there was a fullmoon, the most beautiful fullmoon over the river! I went to a new hostel where I met many other travellers in all ages. Some of them I knew from when they visited Pilpintuwasi. I stayed in a room with a man from Spain and two travellers from Argentina. I got to practice my spanish a lot and I heard some crazy stories and got a lot of traveling advice.
I have met so many amazing and interesting people the past week and it would take forever to write about it.
I liked being the only volunteer, I met more people on the tours and I talked more to the other workers and practiced my spanish. When I went to Iquitos, by coincidence I met people I showed around in Pilpintuwasi and it resulted in a beer with them, a walk or a change of contact information.
I decided to go change my flight ticket to Lima and go earlier (from the 5th of January to the 30th of December). I am ready to travel and I have to be in Cusco on the 8th of January. I figured that if I went to Lima earlier, maybe I would have time to visit Ica on the way to Cusco.
So far I have stayed 3,5 week in Quito and around 4 weeks in Padre Cocha. I really enjoyed it and feel that I have learned more about the cities and the culture. It is a very different experience to stay in a place for longer than just 4-5 days and get to know people. I have lived with locals both places which have also been an advantage. I hope to find another city later on where I can spend a few weeks trying to meet locals, find some dancers and also practice my spanish - but now I am ready to be on the run for a bit :)
For dinner we had pizza with coca cola and champagne. Then I had brought a cake as a gift to the family for inviting me. When they pulled out the cake from the fridge, they all began to sing a birthday song for me - I was so overwhelmed with joy! Toni said that they couldn´t just skip a birthday in the family, they needed to sing for me :)
The evening was not a christmas with christmas songs or a tree, but it was with a family filled with love which was even better.
Around midnight, Toni and I walked to my hostel. We talked about "the alchymist" and about dreams. People having dreams but who don´t do anything to pursue their dreams. We also talked about beginners luck as described in the alcymist. During this conversation, I tried to figure out what I wanted in life, what was my dream. At first I couldn´t find an answer and I thought it was bad. I didn´t have a dream and therefore nothing to pursue or fight for. Then I realized I was fooling myself. I don´t know what I want to do for the rest of my live yet and what I want to be or where in the world, but I know what I want right now. My dream for many years was to go to South America, finally I was able to pursue it! This is the first step towards my future - one day at a time. I enjoy where I am instead of worrying to much about the future, and even though I try not to think to much about it, I know that I am getting closer to the answer every day :)
New years resolutions is somehow a sad thing. Why wait until new year to pursue our dreams or try to improve ourselves. If you know what you want, go get it now!
I had my last day in Pilpintuwasi last friday and went to town in the evening. On the boat it was quiet and there was a fullmoon, the most beautiful fullmoon over the river! I went to a new hostel where I met many other travellers in all ages. Some of them I knew from when they visited Pilpintuwasi. I stayed in a room with a man from Spain and two travellers from Argentina. I got to practice my spanish a lot and I heard some crazy stories and got a lot of traveling advice.
I have met so many amazing and interesting people the past week and it would take forever to write about it.
I liked being the only volunteer, I met more people on the tours and I talked more to the other workers and practiced my spanish. When I went to Iquitos, by coincidence I met people I showed around in Pilpintuwasi and it resulted in a beer with them, a walk or a change of contact information.
I decided to go change my flight ticket to Lima and go earlier (from the 5th of January to the 30th of December). I am ready to travel and I have to be in Cusco on the 8th of January. I figured that if I went to Lima earlier, maybe I would have time to visit Ica on the way to Cusco.
So far I have stayed 3,5 week in Quito and around 4 weeks in Padre Cocha. I really enjoyed it and feel that I have learned more about the cities and the culture. It is a very different experience to stay in a place for longer than just 4-5 days and get to know people. I have lived with locals both places which have also been an advantage. I hope to find another city later on where I can spend a few weeks trying to meet locals, find some dancers and also practice my spanish - but now I am ready to be on the run for a bit :)
No comments:
Post a Comment