Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New years eve in Lima, Lunahuana, Huacachina, Nazca

In Pilpintuwasi I met a group of friends from Oregon who I gave a tour in Pilpintuwasi and we talked for a bit. The same group of friends I met on the hostel I went to in Lima and I spent new years eve with them. There was a great party in the hostel. I helped with the grocery shopping to make it cheap and it ended up with food and a lot of alcohol for everyone for 20 soles each. I started early drinking red wine, whisky, rum and pisco and the food didn´t get ready until much later. Just before midnight I was smashed and as soon as I saw the fireworks, I went to bed. It was a great evening though and I met a lot of nice people. The following morning I was up before everyone else and went for along walk along the beach - amazingly quiet and beautifull in the morning sun!

I agreed with two girls from the hostel - Erin and Shea - that we should go to Lunahuana and Ica together and so we did.

Lunahuana is a very small village sorrounded by dessert mountains and with a big river next to it. When we got there, we went for a walk along the river and found a small treehouse just next to the river where we spent some time just relaxing. Extremely beautiful. The noize from the strong and wide river, the grapeplants around us and the big empty mountains. The following day we went for river rafting which was great fun and cheap!

In the afternoon we took a bus to Huacachina where we found a cheap hostel. As soon as we enter I spot the group from Oregon. Spencer, Ben, Jordan and Whitney. They had been out sandboarding and where going to Cusco later that evening.
In the evening I spent some time talking to Ben about couchsurfing, woofing etc. untill Spencer invited me to the bar and made me a great and strong rum and coke. We partied until he had to catch the bus to Cusco.

In Huacachina, Shea, Erin and I went sandboarding, dune buggy and went on a trip to the Ballistas Islands. I can only recommend people to do all of it! Great fun and incredible nature! Watching sea lions climbing from the water up on the rocks and some of them were fighting. Watching penguins and a bunch of birds outside a zoo. It was great!

Erin and I continued to Nazca. The owner of our hostel tried to sell us a flight going over the nazca lines for 430 soles each. I thought it was way to much and wanted to go ask tour agencies the following day. He kept offering me a lower price and I ended up paying 220 soles for a night in the hostel including open bar in the evening and breakfast in the morning + the flight over the nazca lines!

A few people that I met:

Lucas from Argentina. He hates the police and authorities. He had a visa to Peru for 60 days, but stayed 75. When he crossed the border they asked him to pay a fine which he refused. He thought it was stupid and he didn´t really have the money. He ended up going to jail for two days trying to convince they police that he did nothing wrong and shouldn´t be in jail. They told him that he could pay the fine and reenter Peru when he wanted to or he could spend more time in jail and never be allowed into enter Peru again. After the two days he asked for 5 hours to go sell some of his stuff to earn money in order to pay the fine, and so he did. Now he was with less than 50 soles trying to get from Lima to Bogota where he could get a job.

Carlos from Argentina and his two sons of 20 and 17 years. They are travelling around South America, trying to find the cheapest ways around and earning money for their journey by playing music on the streets. They are very talented musicians and gave a small concert on new years eve in the hostel. It resulted in a bunch of people, including myself, screaming out the lyrics of Yesterday by the Beatles :)

Spencer from Oregon. One of the guys from the group. He lives from fighting in UFC. Now he is on vacation and parties all the time. He has a lot of crazy stories to tell and he showed me pictures from UFC and of the bus that he bought - just to have a bus. What is most incredible is that he makes so many friends without knowing more than 5 words of spanish which is words like naked and drunk. In Huacachina we partied. he had just been there on night and already everyone in Huacachina knew him.

No comments:

Post a Comment