On the way to Cusco my bus was two hours delayed. Fortunately I met Alex from France who I first met in Lima and then on Ballistas Islands - his bus was also delayed and we hung out for two hours talking and drinking beer.
It is amazing how you keep meeting the same people over and over again in different cities. In almost every city I´ve met someone that I´ve met before. I even met a danish couple and a week later I met the girl´s dad who was traveling with his wife.
Coming to Cusco was amazing and cold! After staying in Iquitos for 4 weeks and then going through the dessert, you are not used to the cold evenings they have in Cusco! Besides the cold and the changing weather, Cusco is a great city! It is really beautiful and has plenty of nice places to go. One of my first days I went on a free walking tour. The two guides took us around town for 3 hours showing us monuments, viewpoints, different cafe´s and restaurants where we f.ex. got to taste a piece of sushi, some chicha morada, choclos and chocolate tea for free. We were also shown to different museums and we got to see how they works with silver and alpaca wool. This is a must if you go to Cusco!
My time in Cusco have been amazing so far! I get to relax a lot and hang out with different people on the hostel. I made new friends and went out for beers, dinners etc. This summer when I was hitchhiking in Europe, I met a girl from Spain. She is now working in Cusco for 4 months and we also met up for lunch which was great. I am taking my time here and trying to figure out what to do and where to go next.
Tuesday it was ladies night at the hostel. This meant that all ladies or anyone dressed as one, would get a free shot every hour from 9pm-01am. Tobias (a danish guy I met on the hostel) and I decided to dress up as girls and save some money on alcohol. We borrowed some clothes from Josse and Pernille (two other danish girls we met on the hostel) and got some attention and free shots in the bar ;) Later on we went with a bunch of people from the hostel to a club and danced all night, though in our normal clothes :)
I found out that January is a great month to travel in South America. I met a lot of peruvian, chilenian, brazilian and colombian travelers. Even more argentinians though! All of them have vacation now and are traveling. This is both great for me to practice my spanish and also a great opportunity to get some advice from locals and maybe even have a friend or two in one of my destinations :)
My diabetes have been acting a bit weird since end of december. Around christmas I suddenly went from taking no NovoRapid to taking 5-8 units for every meal! This lasted for a week and then went down to just 1-3 units pr. meal. Going from Iquitos to Lima, Lunahuana, Huacachina and Nazca have not really shown any pattern in the change of insulin. Some days I just need more than others, without having much to do with the food I eat. F.ex. I was on the flight from Iquitos to Lima and chocolate bars, vanilla crackers and soda crackers which was the food we got - I didn´t have to take any insulin! In Cusco which is a lot higher altitude, my use of insulin have been very low and is now down to none again, only the Levemir. It can´t seem to figure out why it changes all the time, but since I don´t see a pattern in the temperature change or altitude change, it might just be how relaxed I am. At the moment I am just really relaxing. I don´t worry about anything and take my time here in Cusco which is great for me and probably also my diabetes!
One more thing. I placed my hand luggage in the luggage room of the bus. Apparently this was a bad idea. Several heavy bags was thrown on top of mine, which resulted in most of my teststripboxes opened. I didn´t notice this until around 1,5 day later. I thought they would all be ruined. I tried measuring my bloodsugar with strips from 3 of the packs that were opened and one that was still closed - they all showed the same! I hope it will continue like this. I don´t know how it was possible since they are not allowed to get much air, but I am just very lucky and glad that they seem to still work fine.
It is amazing how you keep meeting the same people over and over again in different cities. In almost every city I´ve met someone that I´ve met before. I even met a danish couple and a week later I met the girl´s dad who was traveling with his wife.
Coming to Cusco was amazing and cold! After staying in Iquitos for 4 weeks and then going through the dessert, you are not used to the cold evenings they have in Cusco! Besides the cold and the changing weather, Cusco is a great city! It is really beautiful and has plenty of nice places to go. One of my first days I went on a free walking tour. The two guides took us around town for 3 hours showing us monuments, viewpoints, different cafe´s and restaurants where we f.ex. got to taste a piece of sushi, some chicha morada, choclos and chocolate tea for free. We were also shown to different museums and we got to see how they works with silver and alpaca wool. This is a must if you go to Cusco!
My time in Cusco have been amazing so far! I get to relax a lot and hang out with different people on the hostel. I made new friends and went out for beers, dinners etc. This summer when I was hitchhiking in Europe, I met a girl from Spain. She is now working in Cusco for 4 months and we also met up for lunch which was great. I am taking my time here and trying to figure out what to do and where to go next.
Tuesday it was ladies night at the hostel. This meant that all ladies or anyone dressed as one, would get a free shot every hour from 9pm-01am. Tobias (a danish guy I met on the hostel) and I decided to dress up as girls and save some money on alcohol. We borrowed some clothes from Josse and Pernille (two other danish girls we met on the hostel) and got some attention and free shots in the bar ;) Later on we went with a bunch of people from the hostel to a club and danced all night, though in our normal clothes :)
I found out that January is a great month to travel in South America. I met a lot of peruvian, chilenian, brazilian and colombian travelers. Even more argentinians though! All of them have vacation now and are traveling. This is both great for me to practice my spanish and also a great opportunity to get some advice from locals and maybe even have a friend or two in one of my destinations :)
My diabetes have been acting a bit weird since end of december. Around christmas I suddenly went from taking no NovoRapid to taking 5-8 units for every meal! This lasted for a week and then went down to just 1-3 units pr. meal. Going from Iquitos to Lima, Lunahuana, Huacachina and Nazca have not really shown any pattern in the change of insulin. Some days I just need more than others, without having much to do with the food I eat. F.ex. I was on the flight from Iquitos to Lima and chocolate bars, vanilla crackers and soda crackers which was the food we got - I didn´t have to take any insulin! In Cusco which is a lot higher altitude, my use of insulin have been very low and is now down to none again, only the Levemir. It can´t seem to figure out why it changes all the time, but since I don´t see a pattern in the temperature change or altitude change, it might just be how relaxed I am. At the moment I am just really relaxing. I don´t worry about anything and take my time here in Cusco which is great for me and probably also my diabetes!
One more thing. I placed my hand luggage in the luggage room of the bus. Apparently this was a bad idea. Several heavy bags was thrown on top of mine, which resulted in most of my teststripboxes opened. I didn´t notice this until around 1,5 day later. I thought they would all be ruined. I tried measuring my bloodsugar with strips from 3 of the packs that were opened and one that was still closed - they all showed the same! I hope it will continue like this. I don´t know how it was possible since they are not allowed to get much air, but I am just very lucky and glad that they seem to still work fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment